Monday, April 2, 2012

The Equine Photographers Network's Annual Photo Contest

I have been a member of the Equine Photographers Network (EPNET) for three years. Here’s part of their mission statement:

“Our mission is to encourage professional integrity and career development through education, communication and mutual support, while promoting our members in numerous markets.” http://www.equinephotographers.org/mission.php

EPNET has an annual “Equine Ideal Photo Contest” and the contest is open to the public. 
In 2011 I entered a photo called “December’s Honey.” It was the first time I have ever entered a contest before. I figured I had nothing to lose and everything to gain. When EPNET sent out an email notification on the winners last year, I deleted the email. After seeing all the entries I was sure there was no way I could have placed. A few days later I received a Facebook message from Bev Pettit, a professional photographer who’s work I really admired, congratulated me on my win. I was confused, but sure enough I received an honorable mention for my image. I was ecstatic at the news, but mostly because I found out through Bev Pettit; we hadn’t even met in person yet.

Head Study
Decembers Honey
Honorable Mention Award in the Category of Head Study 2010
For this years contest I finally had a body of work I was pretty happy with and decided to go for it entering six categories:
Black and White
Bachelors 



Details 
Eye of the Beholder
Honorable Mention Award in the Category of Details 2011



Extreme Action 
 
Snow Dash
Honorable Mention Award in the Category of Extreme Action 2011



Head Study 
Sisterhood



Horse and Human Portrait
Eddy and the Boys
Honorable Mention Award in the Category of Horse and Human Portrait 2011



Wild Horse
Tranquility

I’m happy and disappointed all at the same time. I’m thrilled that three of my images received a mention, but I’m a little bummed that I didn’t place better. The perfectionist in me is such a torturist. Its so hard for me to focus on the good, four out of seven of my images received recognition in the last two years, but instead I think what can I do better next time? What was wrong with the three images that didn’t place? Hopefully my speculation will relax when I receive my awards in the mail.


If you would like to see more of my photos please visit my website www.KimMichels.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment